Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day One Complete

I felt a lot better about my first day of shooting after meeting with my director of photography the day before.  I set times for each scene, mapped out a diagram of where the camera would be for each shot, and Jordyn and I ordered them so that we thought things would flow the best. 

However, it is a film shoot, and naturally nothing ever goes as planned.  I headed over to RIT to print out sides around 8:30, and the checkout went fairly smoothly.  Unfortunately, 8-foot dolly track does not fit in my car, nor did it fit in Jordyn's.  Luckily our AC, Amanda, had an in with a conversion van.  We were able to move the tracks to the location, but we were already behind. 

After some initial set up problems with the monitor, we got our first shot off around 12:30, which is an hour and a half late.  There were three jib shots in the bedroom, then a dolly in the kitchen that took much longer than anticipated.  Moving a fully weighted down jib arm is difficult, and I have to say that the SR3 is certainly the heaviest camera I ever worked with. 

Luckily I had a great crew.  Jordyn & Amanda worked really well together, and having Dan, Steve, and Lea on set took a huge weight off of my shoulders.  We also had an awesome still photographer!  So hopefully in the near future I will be able to post some behind-the-scenes pictures. 

We had to cut the bathroom scene for time's sake.  We can shoot that in any bathroom, but we really needed to get outside before we lost daylight.  Not to mention, we had some extras that had arrived on time and we wanted them to get their chance to shine!

I'm really pleased with the way the bus stop scene went.  Having the Oswald family on set was such a joy to me because I finally got the chance to share some of my film making with some of my favorite Irish Dance friends.  Another friend of mine was able to come as well, and one canceled, but over-all the scene looked great.  Not to mention some fantastic acting on Keenan's part!

We technically wrapped "on time" around six, then it took us a while to load the equipment back up and unpack it at the cage.  A security guard gave us some trouble because of a concert, but it worked out in the end that we could leave all of our stuff some place safe (considering how often my car is broken in to). 

Morale was high at the end of day one, especially when the crew had a stomach full of lasagna (thanks to my mom's recipe!!!) 

Day two is scheduled for Friday, October 15th!  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment